04 January 2014

The Thing Is...

Fiestaware, dishes that are manufactured by Homer Laughlin, are dishes that you either like, or could care less about.  I fit into the class of individuals who like, or are emphatic about.  Unlike my varied musical taste, I can attribute my fondness for these Classic American dishes to my parents.  I ate on them when I was a child, and they (the Fiestaware) was painted with lead paint.  Upon discovering they were not the most healthy dishes, my parents retired them, deciding to keep the dishes.    When Homer Laughlin came out with the unleaded dishes our family was back in the Fiestaware business.  My wife likes Fiestaware as well, so when we got married we picked up sets of yellow and colbalt, dishes.  We also have an entire set of the white dishes.  More recently we have collected some green settings, and Amy has gotten some of the Christmas dishes.

Last year I was at the department store looking for a salt and pepper shaker, and asked the sales associate in the dish section about it.  She made the following observation, "I notice that people that are looking for Fiestaware to purchase for themselves really are emphatic about the stuff, and are specific about the colors."  I fit that mold.  Pictures below are my breakfast and cup of coffee, after having a Pack 349 Science lock-in, I was in need of my caffeine filled beverage.


The lock-in was a blast, the kids had fun, the adults had fun, and I fell asleep while watching Stat Wars.  When I was the kids age, before the VHS or even shorter lived Beta tapes, I was luck to catch Star Wars on TV once a year.  These days, I can pop it in anytime in the DVD player and give it a spin.  In a way, the is a very nostalgic view point, it takes some of the magic out of watching the movie.  Needless to say, a great time was had by all.


No comments: