16 January 2014

Light in Photography

By enlarge one of the most important parts of pictures and photography is the light.    How much light do you have, what direction is the light coming from, what type if light is it?  All of these questions race through the photographers mind when lining up to take a shot, when planning a photo excursion, or when lining up the family for the annual easter picture.  It is not only important, light can be delicate.  If you have the light just right on the face, you will get a delicate look.   Camera's have many different settings these days, however, most of them relate back to either shutter speed, or aperture.  ost days I have my camera in Program or Automatic mode, rarely do I go into pure manual mode.  Why I can do it and understand it, my life normally moves at a fast pace, and I can't have the kids hang in mid air, while adjusting the shutter speed.

One of my photography professors compared photography to life.  She went on to explain that in life, it was always hard to strike the perfect balance, and often there was giving and taking.  M  Photography was no different, you increase your shutter speed for action photos, the more light you need to get the good picture.  As life goes on, the more her analogy rings true.


I like this picture, what draw it to me is the light breaking through the dust and leaves from above.  I took this one morning close to sunrise.  The position of the sun really illustrates the about of dust that is in the air on this morning, and some of the leaves are translucent, while others look solid and hard as a rock.

No comments: