08 January 2014

Fun Kitchen Inventions

Yesterday I was listening to a new podcast on my way to work, it was from America's Trst Kitcehn.  They had reviewed some kitchen gadgets and highly rated a Chicago Mettalic Pie Drip Protector.  It sounds like a great idea, and to top it off, it has a silicon non-slip disk in the middle so the pie dish does not move around when entering and exiting the oven.  

Ok do not cook many pies, this year I think the total was two.  One Jeff David and on Pumpkin Pie.  Based on the frequency of baking, I will probably pass on getting one, if you bake a lot of pies it is worth looking into.

The other gadget that was reviewed (thrashed would be a better description) was a liquid dry material measuring cup/ scale.  Unfortunately I do not have the name of the manufacture.  The reviewed said that t had a whole list of things it could not do: no dishwasher (would not work at Natty's), no microwave, now soap and water... and she went on to say the her measuring cups were real work horses in the kitchen.  I would have to agree with her on that point, which is why I have 5 Pyrex measuring cups (2 - 1 cup, 2 - 2 cups, 1 - 8 cup). The big one does not get used all that much.  There are times when they are all dirty, and while they are not fancy with a scale, I can wash them in the sink, or the dish washer, heat them in the microwave.  

One of my favorite gadgets for Mexican food is the taco holder.  It keeps your tacos from falling over on their side and spilling thier contents, or even worst landing in the beans.  Refried beans are not to bad on the taco, Taco Bell has the double taco with a soft tortilla, Refried beans and then a crunchy shell.  Who knows, perhaps the inspiration came from a taco the fell over.


No comments: