09 January 2014

Sam I Am

Children's books can be very amusing, and fun.  Dr. Seuss had a great run on fun quirky books.  There are many to choose from, and I think Fox in Sox is one of his harder books to read.  The subjects of his work stretch from getting out of bed, to butter & bread, to brushing teeth, to the "Zans for Cans..."  Oh, the Places You'll Go is one of my favorite Seuss books, I like most of them.  

There is also Margret Wise Brown, who wrote such classics as Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny.  Growing up I read a lot of Mike Mullegan and Maryanne, which is the book about the steam shovel that dug so fast and quick it forgot to dig itself an exit ramp.  

Reading and words have become such an important part of my life, and job.  Someone asked me what I did as a safety person, and my response was... Wait for it... Communicate.  At the time I was either investigating, writing policies, talking on the phone or giving training presentations.  

I can say thanks to my parents, probably more my mom, grandmother, and teachers for instilling the value of reading in my life.  My mom can still recite Bruce's Loose Tooth, a story which she read to me a lot.  My grandmother always asked what is was reading, and helped me get into the Hank the Cowdog seris.  My mom also made sure I was in the jounior great books program in elementary school.  

I have to admit that after college is when I started reading for pleasure, and will also confess that I have read all of the Harry Potter books, at least twice.  John Grishom's books are also very captivating.  Now that I have written, I am off to read.




No comments: