02 August 2006

Yeppe I found Cafe Mocha... ...and some Books

Today I made a traveled from the hotel to George Bush International and back to the complex during the morning rush hour. It took about 1 hour and 45 minutes from start to finish, and I was a little late for the meeting. My little muchaco friend Carlos had to go home for a family emergency, so off we went. It was another day full of meetings, and today I learned how to do some really cool things with a computer program at work.

After the meeting I went out to Katy to look around and go to the Katy Mills Mall. (This has no relation with the Mills family that I know.) I looked around at a few stores and ran into one of the designers of the computer system we were work with during the meeting. We had a nice chat, and I learned that he spends about 50% of his time on the road. Which makes home life hard. We talked about kids, travel, ConocoPhillips, and where the food court is at in the mall. I went into a book store named, “Books A Million” and purchased two books. I purchased Don Quixote, one of the first epic novels written by Miguel de Cervantes, translated by Tobias Smollett. What lead me to that book was my desire to read something classic. It is a wonderful tail of a Spaniard and his adventures being a knight. Jon the Methodist, a pastor in the Oklahoma Conference always spoke highly of the story, and that helped in my decision making. The other book I purchased was Disappointment with God, by Phillip Yancy. As I was pursing the Christian books something lead me to this book. I have read one other Phillip Yancy book, The Jesus I Never Knew. It was fairly deep, and was not a very easy read, certainly not as easy as C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia. I hope that it will provide some insight to me about God and Christianity.

To finish out my evening I went to a coffee shop and had a cafĂ© mocha. It was not as good as the ones in Nawlins, but it was better then the disaster that I made. I sat in a large chair, my coffee on a table that was to tall for the chair, subsequently I felt like Cap at the dinner table, always reaching for my drink. I had one of those moments where I enjoyed the music and them of the late 90’s and 2K years in the coffee shop. When I got in the car it was a pure 70’s music moment, because Wildfire by Micheal Martin Murphy was on the radio. It would have been one of those moments to remember had John been playing that song in the coffee shop.

No comments: