08 August 2006

NCAA Sucks!!!!

This morning I had a nice waffle in the hotel lobby, then I had a Danish, then I had a biscuit. No, wait, I stopped at the Danish because it was all I needed to eat. The waffle was only about half there, not sure what happened, because I poured all the stuff into the waffle maker. After that I headed over to the conference which was being held at the Hyatt Regency. It was across the river from where we stayed when we were in Austin in May for the ShinerBash. The presentation/forum discussion went very well, I did about 40% of the talking. It was a great experience to be part of. One interesting item, was the fact that 3 employees from my company were at the session and I did not know until it was over. After our session I attended two others, which proved to be interesting, one of the presenters was from England, and he used some words that they use in England.

Before lunch I went to the car to deposit the new ASSE blanket that they gave me for participating, and noticed a strangely dressed individual. He was olive drab shorts, a blue tee-shirt, he had long hair that was in the “Corn Row” configuration. In addition to this he was carrying a small bag and wearing rainbow colored suspenders. After lunch I noticed some more unusually dressed individuals milling around the lobby area, girls with green hair, guys in girl clothes, and a guy with orange hair. I began to wonder what was going on, was the Safety community changing into a bunch of grunge, hair died, cross dressers? Finally I ran across the answer, a placard was in front of a table saying, “Welcome 2006 National Poetry Slam”. (National Poetry Slam.) I do not think that poetry is bad, I wrote some while I was in college, in an attempt to be, oh what’s the word, intellectual…

I do not think that you can judge a person by the way they dress, expect to say that a cross dresser has unresolved issues. I found it odd that you had lot of people in business casual (dress pants, button down shirts, or polo shirts) sharing the lobby with the grunge new millennium beat poet look. I did not take any pictures, for fear of offending some one.
On the subject of offending someone, the NCAA has informed McMurry University that it can no longer have the Indian as a mascot. Click here to read the story, NCAA Denis McMurry Final Appeal. Click here to read the McMurry response, McMurry Committed to Respectful Recognition:. The Indian statue in the McMurry response was donated by a club called KIVA, when we played Frisbee golf, the base of the statue was one of the destinations. However, there was a 10 stroke penalty if you hit the statue itself.

I really that the NCAA is out of touch with the world, along with the ACLU and several other acronyms. Last night I watched part of PCU, which is a spoof movie around the political correctness. I am afraid that they creators of that movie have not missed the mark buy much.

No comments: