29 August 2006

As the Deer (Psalm 42)

I am tempted to open a Dr. Pepper so I do not crash and burn while writing this blog. I had a few sips out of one last night, but it did not help. Tonight I was reading the Bible to Cap and read the 42 Psalm. The first line of that Psalm was the inspiration to one of my favorite contemporary songs, As the Deer It is a very simple song in both the lyrics and the music, yet it speaks volumes about where our hearts are. When I first heard it I really did not like it all that much, it seemed very King Jamesish (probably the word panteth.) One day as I sang it and learned where it originated from a light went of in my head and I really connected with the song. It is a song that I could listen to and sing at any event or occasion, weddings, Christmas, church, camp, or camping on the side of a mountain looking out at the starts.

As the deer panteth for the water,
So my soul longeth after you.
You alone are my heart’s desire
And I long to worship you.
You alone are my strength, my shield.T
o you alone will my spirit yield.
You alone are my heart’s desire
And I long to worship you.
You're my friend,
and You are my brother
Even though You are a King.
I love You more than any other
So much more than anything.
http://www.cis.ksu.edu/~aruljohn/lyrics/lyrics.php?ad=&cat=ce&song=As_the_deer

No comments: