02 September 2006

Funk... And I don't mean Funky Town...

Cap and I had breakfast this morning, and it was good. We both had grape nut flakes, and he got to have some applesauce as well. He decided to get up at 6:15 this morning, which did not really match my sleeping goal of sleeping in, but that is okay. We played with the train a little.

Last night it rained so the ground is nice an wet. The football game was called off I think. I went to the BCAC and ran on a treadmill, like a mouse in a cage. It was good. I had not been doing much exercise this week, and I think it threw me into a funk.

The word “Funk” is interesting in and of itself. According to the online Webster’s Dictionary it means the following things:

Main Entry: 1funk Pronunciation: 'f&[ng]kFunction: nounEtymology: probably ultimately from French dialect (Picard) funquer to give off smoke: a strong offensive smell

Main Entry: 2funkintransitive verb : to become frightened and shrink backtransitive verb1 : to be afraid of : DREAD2 : to shrink from undertaking or facing

Main Entry: 3funkFunction: nounEtymology: perhaps from obsolete Dutch dialect (Flanders) fonck1 a : a state of paralyzing fear b : a depressed state of mind2 : one that funks : COWARD3 : SLUMP 1

Main Entry: 4funkFunction: nounEtymology: back-formation from 2funky1 : music that combines traditional forms of black music (as blues, gospel, or soul) and is characterized by a strong backbeat2 : the quality or state of being funky

It is time to play with the train again…

No comments: