17 September 2006

Rich Mullins

It was another fun Sunday. Amy and I cooked spaghetti together, which I enjoyed. It was a little bit of team work on the same task. The only thing that I don not like about Sunday is that it marks the end of the weekend. Church was good; Don (the pastor) spoke about the adventures of Christians in their walk and experiences with God.

It occurred to me today, that I am living in an adventure in God’s ministry. While sometimes I do not understand all of it, I feel blessed to be a part of the adventure. Tonight I lamented to Amy that sometimes I would like to be just a member of the congregation. While I feel that way on occasion, I was the one who volunteered for most everything I am involved in. I also feel very connected to the church and that I am making a positive influence on the church. None of that could be possible without the gifts that God has given me, nor the strength that he gives me daily. I think that the one single thing that gets in God’s way for my ministry is ME. I am not the only one who has issues with getting in Gods way. There are many stories in the bible, including Peter, the “Rock of the Church”, allowing them to get in the way of God. There are certain times in my life where I have really experienced God in a very tangible way. Other times in my life he seems a bit more distance. Right now, I feel more muddled or marred between closeness and distance from God.

Tonight I begrudging took Mazie for a walk, it was a middle sized walk, because we played football after youth for about 30 minutes. I thought for a minute that Don was going to physically run me over, the way he can figuratively run me over with a sermon. I think the game was a wash as far as the score goes. The kids did have a good time, as well as the adults.
Back to the walk, I was not sure what to listen to so I listen to “As the Deer” and several songs by Rich Mullins. I have the “Jesus Demos” downloaded onto my iPod, and really like them. They were not done in a professional studio and have a real raw scratchy sound to them. To sum the feel I get from them is “Authentic”. I can tell when I listen that the writer/singer loves God and yearns to be even closer to him.

(I hope this is not to long for my favorite youth director…)

No comments: