22 September 2006

Friday Night Football

Friday night football in small West Texas towns is something of a ledged. I grew up going to every home football game, unless it was to cold, and we went to several of the out of town games. It has been one of the things that really binds a community together. I think there are several reasons for this. Football games involve more kids then volleyball or basket ball. There are 11 players on the field for each team. While some players play on defense and offense, a majority of them do not. You also have the cheerleaders, whom the singer Pink calls Hollar Girls, and the band. This brings out a lot of the parents, and siblings, and siblings friends to watch the game. Naturally, you have the faithful football supporters who come to most of the sporting events. Some of the community leaders will come out to show support for their town. Then you have 5,000 people in the stands watching kids battle for their school’s pride on a grass field that is 100 yards long.


Amy, Cap and I attended the football game tonight and watched as the arch rivals faced off and battled. I had a good time, and reminisced about many a game that I spent with my dad and grandfather routing on the bulldogs. We have season tickets, and each year we sit generally by the same people. The sad part is that the might bulldogs lost to the harvesters, a mascot that I never have understood. Amy did not think Cap had a good time, but I think that he did, he was certainly interested in all of the activity, especially the bands.

No comments: