26 July 2006

The Telemarketer

I had several thoughts that I was going to write about tonight but they all escaped me. Wait a second, I remember one of them!!!!

I was looking through the Travel Texas book that Amy picked up at the tourism bureu in Amarillo last week. I am always amazed at this book, because they can make places like Electra sound like a hopping little town to visit, with several paragraphs written. All the while, a town the size of Borger has two paragraphs written and sounds like a spot on a state road map. It is amazing that they can make such small towns sound like the oasis for vacations.

I had a telemarketer call this evening, the conversation went something like this:
Tele: Hello
Me: Hello,
Tele: How are you?
Me: I am fine, and yourself.
Tele: Good, my name is John Doe with Texas First Advantage, calling on behalf of the Texas State Troopers Association, are you Mr. Patman?
Me: Yes, that would be me.
Tele: I wanted to see if you wanted to give any money to the Texas State Troopers Association?
Me: Who are you with, The Texas Research Advantage?
Tele: No, it the Texas First Advantage, we were hired by the Texas State Troopers Association.
Me: You are not with the Texas State Troopers Association?
Tele: No I represent them, but work for the Texas Research Advantage. They are not allowed to solicit for funds?
Me: And this company, the Texas Research Advantage, is it a for profit company? (I tired a little Colombo, play dumb motif.)
Tele: Yes that is correct, we are a for profit business.
Me: Okay.
Tele: Would you like to donate any money to the associate?
Me: No that is okay, which is the same answer I gave three weeks ago when you called last time.

I find it strange that a non-profit association hires a for profit company to do the fund raising.

Amy and Cap attended Story Time at the Library, after which Amy proceeded to raid the library shelves and brought back a bag full of books. I am glad she got them at the library, instead of purchasing each book. Go Amy!!!!!

No comments: