15 July 2006

Saturday

Last night I slept for 5 hours on the hard floor at a church in Hallsville. We are back in the van again traveling on I-20 towards Shreveport. I have traveled many miles sitting in this van, and quite a few in the very seat I am sitting. The church got it when I was in high school in 1992. It was a sweet ride then. The old vans (1973 model) were blue Chevy vans, which did not have any insulation, and had a rubber floor. I actually have fond memories of those vans.

The Lost Van

(We are in LA 8:16 am, July 15, 2006.)

Many years ago on a ski trip in the mountains we lost a van down the side of a hill. The story was always told that it was amazing that the van became lodged between two trees. No one was injured in the accident. The only injuries, were sustain when the skiers to be slipped and fell down when they got to the top of the hill. Once the driver of the van said, “I do not know why everyone thinks it was amazing we got the van lodged between two trees. We were on a mountain with lots of trees.

70 MPH
The youth group was returning from a trip Dallas, and Charley 3 began to have issues running. (Charley was what we named the church vans I do not know why.) The youth director at the time was visiting with some of the sponsors behind us, and Terry and I managed to get the van started. A fact that had mixed emotions from the youth director, he was glad the van was running, but upset that a two 6th graders got it started. He then drove 70 mph because the van was not cutting out at that speed. Keep in mind that the speed limit at the time was 55 mph. I was going to meet my parents in Wichita Falls and go back to Dallas with them. My dad being the excellent mechanic found a loose wire and corrected the problem.

No comments: