09 July 2006

Prayer Room Sunday

Today was Sunday, and Amy and I were in the Prayer room. The prayer room is an old classroom upstairs in the education building that has bland colored walls, a fan, a radio, two uncomfortable chairs, and a square rug. It has several prayer books, a journal, and a very nice Kenneth Wyatt Painting. We were up there for most of the service praying for people by name. It is a nice peaceful time to reflect on the week’s events and prayer concerns of the church. After the service there was a picnic, although I think most people ate inside. My family did because that is where father was eating and I wanted to eat with them. We had fried chicken, which was tasty, not as tasty as the tasty burger, but good none the less.

After church I went home and started demolishing the back porch, things went well for 2 hours, then a thunder storm rolled in. I decided that instead of standing on the porch with thunder about, I would climb down and go in the house. The rain lasted 1 ½ hours, then it was back to work. My dad came by and help out a lot, we got what would take be 6 hours done in about 2 hours. It was also nice to have him there for moral support, like when I was a kid and helping him with his project, once he got there I was sure everything would go smoothly. It did, and I am grateful for the help!!

I ate quickly and Cap, Maize, Amy and I went for a walk. On the walk we stop off at our neighbors house for a few minutes and met their next door neighbors brother. As it turns out he lived in Abilene and attended McMurry University as well. Additionally, he also me his wife at the Fine United Methodist College –McMurry. I think that is quite unique to me someone who also met his wife some 30-40 years ago. I am sure that happens more frequently for the large colleges, Texas Tech, A&M, UT, OU, OSU, but McMurry has an enrollment of ~1,200 people. That counts commuter students.

Goals, I have several goals for my life. These are not sort term goals, but are long term goals. I would like to retire at 55-60, send my kids to college, and so on. I have added a new long term goal, and it is to whip my father-in-law on the golf course. I am not sure how good he is, but I think I would like to beat him at his favorite sport. While it will change nothing, and he still will not work hard to have a relationship with either of his daughters, it sounds like a challenge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll do my part to help you with your golf goal! See you on the course!

Safety Pup said...

That's what I am talking about, accountabiliy on the golf course...