17 December 2006

Festivus

"Many Christmas ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way . . . Out of that a new holiday was born . . . a Festivus for the rest of us!" ~ Jerry Stiller as "Frank Costanza" in Seinfeld

Today I was listening to the ABC News Shuffle Podcast, starting Jake Tapper and Hari Sreenivasan. They were discussing holiday traditions and as neither of them are Christian, they discussed Festivus. The famed holiday that appeared on Seinfeld, as a creation of GeorgeÂ’s dad. I though this was pretty random, considering they normally talk about politics and the like. Along the same lines Amy found the Hanukah station on XM Radio tonight. Evident they have a dedicated station for playing Hanukah holiday music. I honestly did not know that there were any songs related to the Jewish calibration. So we checked it out for a little while, and I found it to be somewhat interesting, however, I did not know the words to any of the songs. This fact alone made me change the station.

A fact that is even more disturbing is that you can actually purchase a Festivus Pole. The web site is: http://www.festivuspoles.com/pages/Festivuspoles.htm.

Today is my sisterÂ’s birthday, so we all went out to eat as a family. I remember the days of nice quite meals with only the 5 of us. Now it is a meal with 2 toddlers, one baby, and the headcount tonight was 11. Wow, that is some expansion and the more the merrier. The passing of my sisterÂ’s birthday means that it is only 7 days until Christmas. Last night I drove by a house that had both a blow up Santa, Christmas lights, and a plastic nativity scene set up in the yard. My question is, are they celebrating the birth of Christ, or the arrival of Santa. It seem to be like they yard was having an identity crisis. Are the wise men going to run the Santa and his reindeer otheirier turf?

No comments: