28 December 2006

Ezekiel 3:16-19

Ezekiel 3:16-19
After seven days the Lord gave me a message. He said, “Son of man, I have appointed you as a watchman for Israel. Whenever you receive a message from me, warn people immediately. If I warn the wicked, saying, ‘You are under the penalty of death,’ but you fail to deliver the warning, they will die in their sins. And I will hold you responsible for their deaths. If you warn them and they refuse to repent and keep on sinning, they will die in their sins. But you will have saved yourself because you obeyed me.

Many people, including myself in an earlier time when I was not mature in my faith, will say that the Old Testament is old, and time should be focused on the New Testament. After all, the New Testament has the Gospels, which are the account of Jesus’ ministry on earth, and if there is anything to learn it is in the Gospels. I have come to understand that line of thinking is dead, and one will not grow as far spiritually if you take that approach. The versus above in Ezekiel are an illustration of God’s desires for us. As Christians we take the place as a watchman, not just for Israel, but for the hole world. While we shall not go around condemning people, we should be vocal about our faith, and that salvation only comes from Jesus Christ. I think that to often we get bogged down in the mechanics of life, work and the church, and forget what our mission is.

We are the messengers, the light of the world as it is written in Matthew. If we do not study both the Old and New testament, our light will not be as bright as it should be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats absolutely right. when Jesus tells His followers to make disciples of all nations, He is essentially talking to every believer past present and future. its our responsibility to tell the world about Christ