02 October 2006

Oh THe Places You'll Go!

Oh The Places You’ll Go, by Dr. Seuss is one of the books I got to read to Cap today. He sat with me in the single person chair while Amy made dinner and we read a book. The weather outside is beautiful, as the cool winter air creeps closer and closer with each passing date.

Last night at Praise Band Practice we sang two of my favorite old praise and worship songs. (I wonder if Charles Wesley would have referred to his hymns as “Contemporary Music.) We sand All in All and Seek Ye First. I love both of those songs, and it has been a while sing I have really sung either one. When I was in college at McMurry University I would go over to Abilene Christian University with a good friend from home and attend Tuesday Night Devo. Of course the CoC did not use musical instruments so we would have a 30 minute Acappella praise and worship session. Additionally, they did not have any overhead projector or music handouts; you had to learn the songs to sing them. I can still remember what it felt like to sit out in the cool fall evenings in the dark and sing All in All with 100 other students. Max Lucadio attended ACU, and I actually know a couple (older then me) that were married by Max.

Tonight I went for a stroll with Mazie, and listened to the “Old Guys” that talk on AFR from 12:30 – 1:00 pm. This session was originally broadcast on September 21, I know that I am behind, but they are pod cast which do not expire like milk, cheese, and raw beef. The topic for the day was a pastor who had written a commentary concerning plagiarism from the pulpit. The authors point was that it is okay to plagiarism from other people to get your sermon material. In the course of their discussion they began talking about “Famous Pastors”. I was thinking about people like Billy Graham, Rick Warren, and Don Boren, when they sprung the name of Charles Spurgeon. Immediately I began to wonder who this Spurgeon fellow was. It took me a while but I finally looked the fellow up on the internet Click on the link, and you can read more about Spurgeion,http://www.spurgeon.org/aboutsp.htm

No comments: