03 June 2006

Four...

I went out to the golf course today, for the first time in a couple of years to hit some range balls. I did pretty well considering the downtime between hitting golf balls. I wanted to make sure that I could still hit the ball before I play on Tuesday, and I can. Still have a little slice; I think some of that action was due to the wind blowing. One would think that after 31 years, I would be accustom to the wind blowing here. To that end, I think that a pretty day is one that the wind does not blow. Ok, back to my gold story. The driving range brought back memories of golf when I was in high school. I played for 3 years, and made the official JV Team when I was a junior. So for three years everyday I played a bout nine holes. I did not appreciate it as much then as I would now if I could get away with playing that much. I have lots of good stories about golf and the experiences that I had on the course. One of my favorite aspects of the golf team was the fact that my grandmother adored the golf couch, because he was a good geometry teacher. (She was a math teacher for many years, and I received some of the best tutoring that one could have.) While my uncle made the comment one day, “I would like to roll him up and stuff him in the trash can.” Not a faltering remark, unless you are a raccoon. My opinion was pretty neutral, one day after a round of gold he said, “How did you shoot?” I replied, “Pretty good.” His response was, “Boys, I want numbers not adjectives.” Oh the joys of golf.

I was on hole #18, which is now hole #9 one day. The green is about 100 feet from the county club swimming pool. The wind had been blowing that day, and the hole was into the wind. I took the wind into consideration as I selected a club out of my bag. I wanted to make sure to get it over the lake and on the green, and with the still head wind, I though that a 5 iron would do the trick. About the time I made contact with the ball, the wind stopped. I watch as the ball flew through the air, over the lake (that is good) over the green (well at least it did not go in the drink) over the rough (mmmm) and into the pool (I cannot write the word that popped into my head but it was not a pleasent thought). The only saving grace was that it was fall and there was not a soul swimming. I had to take two for being out of bounds, everyone said that I should have to take 4 strokes because I had not only hit out of bounds, but also into a water hazard.

No comments: