05 January 2007

You know 70% of the world uses rice as their primary diet

"Herein lies our problem. If we level that much land to grow rice and whatever,
then no other animal could live there except for some insect pest species. Which
is very unfortunate
." – Steve Irwin

When I was a kid we went to my grandmother’s house for lunch (grandmother seems like the wrong word to use because I called her Marian for my entire life) and we were having rice. Oh, we had more then just rice, but rice was on the menu none the less. I sat down at the table with my plate. Marian looked over and gave my plate the once over, to make sure it was nutrious. The converstion went something like this.

"I do not see any rice on your plate?"
"I don’t like rice."
"You know 70% of the world uses rice as their primary diet."
"I am glad that I live in the other 30%."

In no time at all I think that rice was deposited onto my plate, and it was returned to the place I was sitting. In order to eat the rice, I had to use sugar, and a lot of butter, there by taking any good nutriational value away from the rice I was eating. I have since grown to like rice, thanks primarly to the Japense Steakhouse resturants. I cooked a little rice rice tonight, and ate it with some brawtworst. Rice is similar to noodles, it is a utility food. Goes with just about anything, and is not normally the center piece of the meal. It can be a side dish like mexican rice and enchalidas, or it can be the foundation of a meal when you spread it over your plate and cover it with meat. Rice, the utility food!

No comments: