14 January 2007

Photography

"A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety..." Ansel Adams

I like photography, (aka photos or pictures) and over the course of time I have taken a great many photos. Some of the photos are junk, trash, or worthless. The film was double exposed, under exposed, out of focus (unintentionally), or a random shot that does not mean anything. So of my pictures offer a gateway into the past for others as they look at what they were doing at a point in time. Other pictures are truly fascinating my me for reasons that I cannot explain. A few of my photos are really good, I do not mean to be boastful, but I do think they are great pictures. Today I spent some time flipping though some pictures and I scanned some into the computer.

For me a picture is a gateway into another world, perhaps that world took place 10 years ago, or it could be only a few minutes old. The good photos are the ones that draw you into them, and make you ask the questions… Who are they, what are they doing, or how did the photographer do that?

Since the days of the first photography in 1820 they have gone from something of a rare item to common place. With the advent of the digital camera, and the camera on the cellular phone, everyone seems to be snapping pictures.

The picture below is from Michael’s wedding; unfortunately he is not actually in the photo. At the point when the picture was taken he had just got into his pickup with his new bride. Michael was not thinking properly that day, and gave me the keys to his truck, when I had to pick something up at united for him while wearing a tux (an entirely different story). I took full advantage of the situation and rigged his truck to where it would start and run for a few seconds before it died. Once it did it would not restart. As you can see in the picture Steven is looking on in blissful amazement (he was never mechanically inclined, rather he would be mechanically challenged). Terry was looking at the situation thinking “boy I hope Jeremy is correct about this.” I was looking at it thinking, I sure hope he forgives me, but it is only a minor set back in his scheduled. Mark is whispering into someone’s ear the prank we were pulling, with a certainty that it would work because he had witnessed me change a starter on a jeep in the parking lot at ACU. For some reason I like this picture, it is one of the few that I have with me in it that is not a posed photo.

No comments: