14 April 2007

Saturday Night LIfe..

Tonight I was reading the local newspaper and noticed something that I find amusing. On the "Opinion" page there was the policy for the "Letter to the Editor" submittails. It is all petty standard until you get to 350 words. If you break that mark then the paper requires $25.00 for a fee to publish your letter. Additionally, if the letter is over 450 words then the fee is $50.00, and letters over 600 words you can just forget because it will not be published. I have not called but I am planning on calling to see how much an advertisement cost. If you pay a fee for your letter to be in the paper are you not advertising your point of view? I think you are simply paying for an advertisement. Why don't they change Thur policy to 350 words max, otherwise submit an actual article? Right above this policy there is a letter from Kay Bailey Hutchinson about the Republican tax cuts, my question is, did she have to pay $50.00 because it looks like more than 600 words.

I have been a busy fellow this last week, which has kept me from writing anything. I had some sort of "event" every night except for Tuesday, and tonight. On the brighter side, my mom bought Super Troopers for me, it is a funny movie. Be warned that it has some... crude... behavior.

Last night there was a "Date Night", I think that is what it was called, at the church. I, with assistance from Brandon and Bradley (they did a lot of other things getting ready and cleaning up)cooked hamburgers and hot dogs on the outside grill. When we started there was some light drizzle. During the cooking process I experienced the drizzle, light rain, moderate rain, ice, and finally snow. The snow was pretty, it was large and white, it was mostly gone by 3:00 pm today. It was okay, I felt a little out of place, which is unusual at the church, epically since I have been hanging out there for 32 years.

Today I went to the Transfer Station and dropped off 2 doors and some old trim. They wear busy with lots of other people dumping trash. When I was a kid I would go with my dad to the "Dump" and there was a fellow at the gate that inspected each load. He had a small "Dog House" at the gate. (The term "Dog House" in this sentence means a small normally portable building that one can take shelter from the weather, eat lunch or take a break while working. I always though that that old man lived there in that "Dog House." Looking back I am sure that he did not live there.

No comments: