12 January 2012

The Twelve Days of Christmas

We have lots of Christmas stories at our house. In fact, today, on 1/12/12, we read The Twevle Days of Christmas. The collect of books we have traverse the span, from The Night Before Christmas, by the original author, to the more modern A Pirates Night Before Christmas. Arrrgh!!! Christmas books are read throughout the year. In the middle of the summer, we are likely to read The Gingerbread Pirates. Over the last few years, I have seen an increase in the number of Pirate Christmas books. Which begs the question, did Black Beard celebrate Christmas.

Would the pirate christmas celebration involve walking the plank in your swimming suit? Its christmas in the Bahamas, so I think the water would be nice. A dinner consisting of hardtack and cackle fruit eggs? Did the crew take a break from swabbing the deck?

Over the years our Christmas Traditions have changed. In part because we have gotten older, changes in our geographical locations, and the passing of loved ones. I have also noted a change in what I enjoy out of Christmas. When I was my son's age, I was focused on what I would get. Now, I enjoy watchings others open up their suprises. This year we had everyone at our house for Christmas. It was a lot of fun. We played the guessing game, a christmas tradition that my grandfather got us started on when I was 10 or 11. I also got to eat fried grits, the only day of the year that it is an option.

At this point the tree has 1/2 of its ornaments, and there are boxes waiting to be packed, as we pull the christmas decorations down.










No comments: