15 January 2012

Sunday Lunch

While I was growing up Sunday Lunch was a meal, that we celebrated together as a family. Contrary to the advertisements on television, our Sunday meal was eaten at Marian and Father's (grandparents.) After Marian passed, Honey (mom) took up the torch of feeding the Patmans after church. Honey and Marian were both fantastic cooks!

I cooked lunch today, and I think one of the keys is to make dishes that can be heated quickly, or cooked while we are off at church. I have a great many culinary advantages that Marian did not have. For example, I can reliably program my oven for an timed start. I also have two refrigerators, she only had one.


Occasionally we would hop in the car after church and drive to the Furrs cafeteria, in Pampa, Texas to have sunday lunch with my cousins from McLean. This was another highlight of growing up. As a kid, I was AMAZED with the different selections, and see to remember getting the fish patty frequently.

No comments: