18 January 2012

Lunchroom Stories

In the break room there are several of use that usually eat lunch at the same time. For this week, the discussion has been a little more random than normal. Food has been a big discussion point for a couple of days. I told two food related stories that are, or should be embarrassing. Each story was when it occurred, these days it is just funny.

The Shrimp
Growing up in the panhandle of Texas did not lead itself to much seafood. I really enjoyed eating shrimp, and we would travel down to Galveston each summer. My shrimp spectrum was very narrow, it consisted of jumbo fried shrimp, and popcorn fried shrimp. While attending McMurry one year during finals they made steaks and shrimp cocktail. Being the shrimp lover that I am I went for the shrimp cocktail. With a plate piled high with these shrimp, that did not look much like the fried shrimp, I dug in. Crunch, crunch, crunch... Thinking that something was not quite right I observed one of my hall mates peeling the shrimp and asked, "What are you doing to the shrimp?" "Peeling it of course, did you not peel your shrimp?" My response was, "peel it why would I need to do that, it is kind of crunchy." I learned a lot that semester, all the internal organs of a cat, how useful fruit flys were in genetics, and that you really should peel the shrimp cocktail before eating.

The Dish
One meal that we ate growing up was call "The Dish." It is made up of macaroni, ground beef, tomatoes, onion, tomato paste. It was really good when my mom made it. After Amy and I got married I decided to make "The Dish." I got the receipt for my mom and followed it. It called for 1 c of macaroni, ground beef, ect. All of which I dutifully placed in the 9 X 9 cooking dish. The first bit I took after cooking was kind of crunchy, and I thought, "oh it is the top." The second bite, still crunchy. It was at this point I though that something was a miss. I placed a call and was lovingly informed that, "you have to cook the noodles before you put them in the dish." Which was followed by a quick trip to sonic.

No comments: