29 April 2006

The Bike Rack Adventure

It might not be an adventure, but I could not think of a better title. I had ordered a bike rack on Amazon.com last week thinking that it would arrive in time for the big trip to the ShinerBash. However, the company that I ordered it from, through Amazon called and let me know that it had been backordered. This resulted in a trip to Amarillo for the three of us. It turns out that we got the same one that I had ordered on the internet, and for about the same price. The only difference was that Cap got to play in the bike store while the rack was being assembled. After that we headed off to the Kid's Gap, The Christian Book Store, Home Depot, and Abuleo's. It was a fun morning; we were back in Big B by 1:30 pm.

I managed to break the spring on my new air hammer this afternoon while tearing down the planter on the back porch. I wonder if it still under warranty, I have only had it for ~ 1 week.

I read in the Newspaper that a British fellow wrote a Spanish version of the Star Spangled Banner. This is disturbing on several levels. The first is that it is not in English, while America does not have an official language; I have yet to see a dollar in Spanish. Secondly, Francis Scott Keys wrote the Star Spangled Banner while the United States was at War with Britain. Now we have a British Fellow changing our National Anthem (adopted in 1931). (http://www.usflag.org/history/francisscottkey.html) Finally, and most disturbing, is the wording was changed quite a bit, and it has a new context. "The second stanza for example states:'My people keep fighting. It's time to break the chains'" Yahoo News Link.

No comments: