08 March 2014

The Hobbit

It is done, finally.  I have read a litatary classic written by J.R.R. Tolkien (or at least the first book of the trilogy).  Normally the books I read are not of the caliber of The Hobbit.  Recent readings have typically been fast paced spy novels, which have normal characters with complex relationships.  The Hobbit was a book that had complex characters, and even more complicated relationships.  

I was challenged, in that, this book was not one I could pick-up for 15 minutes every other evening.  Nor, was I able to pick it up and the pick the book back up a couple of weeks later.  This is not a microwave book, it is much more like a slow cooker book, or even a "I am going to spend all day smoking ribs" book.  

It is really a great read, I found it a little on the dry side unless I have a 1 hour block to read and become total engrossed in the book.  The other change I made was swapping from a paper book to an ebook.  Having the ebook allow me much more flexibility for getting a few pages in here or there, while not optimal, it did get me to the finish line.  There is certainly no shortages of options about ebooks.  I am of the opinion that format is less important when compared to content, imagination, and the expansion of thoughts as ideas while reading.



No comments: