21 March 2014

Chicken Fried Steak Festival

In the event you did not know this, I grew up in the great state of Texas.  As such I like to keep tabs on what is happening down south, it is like a whole other country.  That is what their tourism board or association advertise anyway.  One event that I recently found sounds very tasty, and I would have loved it in my college days.  Amy will back me up on this, anytime we went to eat I ordered chicken fried steak, unless it was the Olive Garden, because they just did not have it on the menu.  Chicken Fried Streak became my favorite dinner out meal when I was a kid, and it remained that until a few years ago.  It was not a change of taste that changed my thoughts of the chicken fried steak.   It was in fact my increasing knowledge of how healthy a chunk of meat that has been battered up, then deep fried in hot oil or grease to a crispy golden brown.  It becomes even more healthy as you add the cream gravy, mashed potatoes (covered in gravy) and corn on the cob (dipped in butter).  

The town of Lamesa has an annual Chicken-Fried Steak Festival, this year it is being held on April 25-27 at Forrest Park.  Below is a list of the 2014 Events.  I have heard of Greek Festivals, Beer Festivals, Albuquerque has a ballon festival, and Roswell, New Mexico has a UFO Festival.  There are a variety of water mellon festivals,  Jazz Festivals, and the like, but this is the first Chicken-Fried Steak Festival I have ever see.  So if you enjoy a good helping of aartery re-enforcing food, travel on down to Lamesa, home of Barry Corbin for the festival.    




2014 Events


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't normally attend festivals, but a CFS festival sounds awesome!