01 June 2008

Dumpster Fire

I had a little bit of excitement today, which did involve the fire department and 911. I was out back mowing and smelled, and then saw smoke. I went to see what it was, as it was in the alley and found a dumpster on fire. It was a few houses down, but I called 911 anyway. I mean, why not let the professional fire eaters deal with the situation. While I was talking to the operator I walked up the street to verify the address. When I returned on of the girls that lived in the house the dumpster was behind was spraying water in the dumpster. Her mom came out and I said that I had called the fire department, and she seem put off by this, turned and walked back in the house. It even took the firemen 15 minutes to get it out, so I don't think the garden house would have done much good. As it turns out the mom's boyfriend had put coals from an outdoor fire pit into the dumpster that were not completely, how do you say it, extinguished. I would hope that if anyone saw the dumpster behind my house on fire, they would not hesitate to call 911. So in the event that you see it, go ahead and call.

That was the most exciting thing that happened all day. I did try it and I can swing the golf club while talking on the bluetooth ear piece. Just thought that you should know.

1 comment:

R.S. said...

How dare you "interfere" with your neighbor's business! You might have saved their house and yet you are probably thought of now as "nosy." Long live American individualism! ha ha