07 June 2008

Annual Confrence

Last week I attended the United Methodist, North West Texas and New Mexico Annual conference in Glorieta, NM. It was a good conference, and it was the first time in over 30 years that the two conferences convened together. I should point out that both conferences have shared a bishop since 1968. The business of the conference was completed. Through out the week there were several worship services which were very spirit filled and powerful. The conference Preacher was Rev. Tyrone Gordon, who reminded us that everyone is on the list for communion, and that as fishers of men we should use a net to bring in all fish, instead of a rod and real, with "special bait" to bring in one select type of person. I listened to the reports of the delegates that went to the General Conference in Ft. Worth last month. (I the event you do not know, every 4 years the United Methodist Church has a General Conference, where delegates from each annual conference across the world come together to do the business of the church and to worship together.)

On a more personnel note I was able to visit with many off the former pastors that had been to my church, and some other pastors who I am friends with. I did get to visit with Ryan, and had lunch with he and Don one day. The Cooke's took me to Santa Fe for dinner one evening which was good. While the business of the church is an important aspect of annual conference, it was far overshadowed for me by the worship and fellowship.

1 comment:

R.S. said...

Our late night conversation was borderline irresponsible given our fatigue, but it was worth every minute. Still wish I'd had a pen and paper with me, but reflecting on the thoughts nonetheless.

Thanks-