11 June 2008

105 F

Today the high temperature in Borger reached 105 degrees Fahrenheit. That is pretty hot for the second week in June. I swear that I can watch my grass turning brown in the heat of the day. I did not realize how hot it was today, until I left the office at 5:30 pm, it was about 30 degrees warmer than it had been at 6:20 am when I walked in. In the event that you did not know, the Fahrenheit temperature scale was developed by Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736). I for one think it is interesting that America is one of the few countries that us the Fahrenheit scale, which was actually invented by a German Scientist.

I did get the new computer desk set-up and the computer put into the desk. It is nice, and the draws are not falling off like the old desk. So, in the next few days the old desk will take a drive over to the "Transfer Station". That is the city's way of saying, the "central trash depot" or perhaps, the "trash truck central". What they do is bring in all of the trash trucks, dump them in a building, and load all the garbage into semi trailers which are hauled to a city 30 miles away for disposal. This was less expensive then operating our own sanitary land fill. Again, another oxymoron, how exactly is a landfill sanitary, when you dump thousand of tons of trash in it daily?

No comments: