09 November 2008

Reflections on the Trip

Over the past few weeks I have spent a lot, or at least a fair amount of time in reflection about life in general. I am always amazed and humbled to know that so many people have spent so much time supporting my family though pray and actions, phone calls, cards, and watching the little children. I am most appreciative of everyone who has aided a hand during my recent hospitalization and procedures.



Of course there is my dad, who drove me once again to see the "Doctor In Houston." We were waiting for an elevator in the Doctor's Office and some random guy said that it had been a long day. My dad and I agreed, and he said, "I have been dealing with these cardiologist for the last 6 years." To which my dad said, "We have been dealing with these cardiologist for the last 33 years," while gesturing in my direction. I don't think the other fellow had much to say after that. I suppose that I will be dealing with the cardiologist for the remained of my life.



Then there is my mom, who kept Cap while Amy and Ella made a mad dash to see me before "Blast-off." She also made dad and I an excellent meal upon our return, and checked the oil wells while dad was off. I had to call her collect from the hospital room so she could get a hold of dad, when an anaesthesiologist showed up and stated confidently, "You are scheduled for surgery." To which my response was, my Doctor failed to mention an additional surgery, and I got a little unfriendly with the fellow.



Amy and Ella came down, and Amy seemed a bit upset when I was more concerned with her taking care of Ella, then checking on my. I had a hole host of individuals who were getting paid to stare at me. None the less she had been taking care of me, and making sure that I do not pickup anything above the 10 lb threshold. This afternoon (November 9th) we got my work back-pack out, and slimmed it down to slightly less than 10 pounds. It has 1 laptop, the charger, a small note book, and some pens. So we dumped out several folders, a large note book, countless chargers (phone, blackberry, iPod,) a 1" binder that I have carried in the back pack for the past year. My back-pack is now slimmed down to the bear minimum.



Sid and Selena, flew Amy and Ella down to the greater Houston area, and much to my surprise, Sid and Amy walked into the "Anti" room where they were getting me ready, you could call it the "Pre-prep Area". Not only did they get Amy and Ella to the Houston area, but they all stayed at Selena's sister's house with their family, all of whom played a roll in taking care of Ms. Ella, and took her trick-or-treating.

Bob and Mimi, who volunteered to house me and my dad, for what we though would be two nights, but turned into 8 or 9 nights. They were very gracious hosts, and I enjoyed visiting with them, most of the time we passed like ships in the night.

Last but not least is the army of people who were praying for me, the doctors and everything else, as you can tell your prayers were answered. I had an vast assortment of calls, and several unexpected visitors in the hospital.

No comments: