10 February 2013

Fat Tuesday

This week host a couple of unique days within the secular and Christian calendars.  First off there is Mardi Gras, also know "Fat Tuesday".  The last day of feasting prior to Ash Wednesday, and the start of lent.  It is a unique coupling of celebrations, like a smoker going through a carton of smokes the night before he quits.  While I have never been to a Mardi gras feastivle, what I have seen on television, the news, and other media about the New Orleans celebration leads me to believe these reavelars are not preparing for a period of fasting.  Much like St Patricks Day, the secular society has used it as a reason to drink green beer in excess, and over look the fact that it is a day to honor a saint.

The season of lent itself is interesting.  It is supposed to be representative of Jesus' 40 days of fasting, yet tradition says that we can break the fast on Sundays.  In realitily it is much more a representation of the humans and their battle against temptation.

When I first started observing lent, I gave up things that I did not eat anyway, like watermelon.  I am ashamed of my lack of knowledge in the subject during my first years of observation.  It is more than just giving sometime up, one can sacrifice their time, and spent more time reading the bible, or praying.  I have some friends who fast, and know several Catholics who observe the no meat on fried, and eat fish (which is still meat).  For around 10 years I almost always gave up Dr. Pepper, the in 2010 I went to the dr during lent, and was informed I was getting fat.  (I did not need an individual with an advanced degree, and special training to tll me that.)  However, I did swear off Dr. Pepper, and have not had one since.

If you are struggling with what to give up, try something new, and pick up a bible study, the bible, volunteer work, or a commitment to pray and seek God out during the day.

No comments: