15 October 2008

The Surgeon, The Episode, and The ER

It rained all day yesterday, and it was cool, really cool outside. I went to see the good ole Thoracic Surgeon yesterday, expecting him to want to run this test, or that test to help eliminate or narrow down my current medical issue. I was knocked off kilter when he said, "You need to go see the original surgeon, who did your 3 heart surgeries." This was not what I expected to hear from him, and I think that Amy was a little surprised also. The surgeon thinks that my medical condition might be a result from my congenital heart disease, and subsequent surgeries. Evidently some people who have congenital heart disease sometimes will develop additional, or larger blood vessels around the large air passages. So I will be going back to the Texas Heart Institute, which is part of the St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital.

I will not be seeing or at least have an appointment with Dr. Cooley, however, I do have an appointment with one of the Surgeons who assisted with my last heart surgery in 1979.

On the way back to Borger, I had a coughing up blood episode, so we went back to Amarillo, spent the night in the hospital and had a scope run in my nose and into my lungs. (The Medical Term for this is Bronchoscopy. Overall it has been an exciting 24 hours.

All of this has set me off onto, for lack of better words, an emotional roller coaster. It is difficult to put in words some of the emotional feelings that I have had over the last 24 hours. It is particularly shocking when the person that calls to make the appointment says, "well the Doctor is in on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and if the you want to have any surgery that might be needed it is better to come early in the week." Thus reminding me that at this point there will be some sort of medical procedure performed on me again.

1 comment:

Alana said...

Just wanted to let you know that we're thinking about you and sending out an extra prayer for your doctors - Take Care!