25 December 2015

Christmas Traditions

Traditions, the time hornored act of repeating the same actions year after year is comforting.  These traditions may be established over a centuries, or they could be relatively new.  The time between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day is full of traditions,  This time of year where some are preparing for the great Christmas Morning Gift Exchange, while others are preparing for the "Norman Roxkwell" thanksgiving feast, Hannakka, Boxing Day, or Festivus.  For me, Christmas is a time to celebrate family and the birth of Jesus Christ.

My parents, and their parents, worked hard to make sure that Christmas was a special time for all of us.  Through all of that work, we have picked up a number of traditions which are executed every year. My generation, my wife, and my parents have worked to incorporate these traditions into my children, nieces, and nephews.  

Similar to that old blanket, we wrap ourselves up in the comforting nature of tradition.  Recreating that "magic" every year. I really  enjoy these Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day traditions,  Yesterday I was reminded that the next generation is getting older, and more mature/independent.  At the Christmas Eve Service most of the cousins sat behind the adults with Aunt Natty.  They sang the hymns, stood without additional prompting, and listened to the message.  It was a beautiful transition to see.  As we pass along, not only the traditions of Christmas, but also our strong belief in Jesus Christ.

No comments: